Isaiah: THREE

1.07.2014


Three whole years, Isaiah. THREE.

I don't know why, but this birthday hit me hard.

You're not my baby any more. Although you always will be, on some level. But it's so very clear to me that you are all big boy.

It's evident in the way you walk, talk, and just about everything else. Your vocabulary amazes me. You potty trained like a champ. And don't even get me started about watching you play with the "big kids"....you instantly become ten years older. And it breaks my little heart.

We've had a rough couple of months, you and I. The older you get, the more challenging you get. And you are probably thinking the very same sentiment about me.

You test me. And you've also made me realize that I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.

But despite all of our ups and downs, you are truly GOOD. And I want you to know that. Your heart is pure gold. All you want is to make others happy, and it crushes you when you can't. Sometimes I don't even have to scold you, because you are hard enough on yourself already.

I've learned a lot over this past year with you, Isaiah. I've learned that, well....I'm learning. Just like you are. With every year that passes, you grow. And so do I. You try new things, and so do I. You stumble, and yes...so do I. And all I can do, is do my best for you. Which I intend to do, with every ounce of my being.

But I am also learning how to show myself grace when I fail (which is often.) And my hope is that you will learn how to show yourself grace, as well. 

You are such a good big brother, Isaiah. You care deeply about Samuel. And wow, does he love you. It's so beautiful to watch.

You love trains, cars, and everything to do with camping. You are full of imagination, and are a night owl just like your Mommy (the two go hand in hand). And you love music and art.

Don't forget Lionel, either. He's still number one around here.

Oh, Isaiah, I love you so much. And I love being in this thing with you, together. We're on a wild ride and I wouldn't change it for a second.

I have to admit, though, I'm a little scared. If these next years fly by as quickly as the last three, I don't know what I am going to do. You are my buddy. You are amazing. And most importantly, you are a gift from God.

For which, I am so very thankful.

Here's to your three's, little man. I hope it's your best year yet.

We love you.

Love,

Mommy
 


2 comments:

Katie said...

He looks so much like Michael in that picture!

Alli Aars {You have your blog, we have Aars} said...

Katie, he looks more and more like Michael every day!

Post a Comment